If you are a Polish student or doctoral student, you benefit from coverage as a family member of an insured person in the following situations:

  • until you are 26 years old – the obligation to register for insurance rests with the parents or legal guardians;
  • without age limit – if you have a certificate of severe disability or other conditions treated equally – the obligation to register for insurance rests with your parents or legal guardians; 
  • without age limit – if the spouse is subject to compulsory health insurance (resulting, e.g., from an employment relationship) – the obligation to register for insurance rests with the spouse.

The University will register you for health insurance for students and doctoral students if: 

  • you are at least 26 years of age and are not subject to the insurance obligation on other grounds; 
  • you have no family members who are subject to the health insurance obligation (parents, a spouse). 

Additionally, we encourage you to consider taking out an accident insurance policy, which is optional, but may come in handy if, for example, you break your arm or suffer any other injury (knock on wood!) - not only during the academic year and on the premises of the university.

In order to be enrolled for health insurance by the University of Lodz you need to contact the Dean’s Office of your Faculty. A student must submit a health insurance application form and a statement that they are not subject to the health insurance obligation on any other basis.

In the case of compulsory health insurance visit your Dean’s Office or the Secretary’s Office of your Doctoral School. An additional policy can be purchased on this website:



If you are a student from a non-EU/EEA country, you should purchase (and most likely you had) health insurance in your home country, valid in Poland. According to state health regulations, foreigners have to pay for a medical consultation. The cost should be reimbursed by the health insurance company, but please verify your agreement attentively so you are aware which medical consultations/procedures are refund. If you are already in Poland and wish to buy medical insurance, there are 2 options:

  • apply to the local branch of the National Heath Fund (35 Targowa Street), also known as the NFZ,
  • get health insurance (as well as liability, life or property insurance if you need so) from a number of private companies operating in Poland.

EU/EEA citizens follow the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) card regulations. With EHIC, visits at public medical centres are free, as well as most medical examinations that are ordered by a doctor.

Students with Karta Polaka (Pole's Card) can get insurance from the University of Lodz. To do so, please follow instructions sent to you by email before the beginning of studies.