UNIVERSITY OF LODZ IN THE UNIC /JUːˈNIːK/ ALLIANCE - WHAT IS UNIC?
EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY OF POST-INDUSTRIAL CITIES (UNIC) is one of 41 alliances of European Universities. European Universities are transnational alliances that will become the universities of the future, promoting European values and identity, and revolutionising the quality and competitiveness of European higher education. They will do so by joint implementation of innovative solutions in the field of education and science and deep institutional integration.
The collaborative network focuses on the challenges faced by post-industrial cities, the role of universities in their transformation and building the potential of cities in key areas such as: social inclusion, diversity, sustainable development.
The alliance currently consists of 10 partner universities, including:
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (The Netherlands) - coordinator
- University of Deusto (Spain)
- Ruhr University Bochum (Germany)
- University College Cork (Ireland)
- Koç University (Turkey)
- University of Liège (Belgium)
- University of Oulu (Finland)
- University of Zagreb (Croatia)
- University of Lodz (Poland)*
- Malmö University (Sweden)*
*universities that joined the alliance in 2022
Programme Erasmus Goes Green Multiplier Event - webinar
Climate change is one of the biggest challenges of this century. However, Erasmus+, one of the EU’s main instruments to support growth, jobs, equity…
77 years of the University of Lodz! Short summary of the formal sitting of the UL Senate
University of Lodz celebrated its 77th anniversary. During the formal sitting of the UL Senate in the Auditorium of the Faculty of Management, state…
Symposium: „Seeking Refuge Finding Solidarity? Challenges and Chances for Ukrainian Protection-Seekers in Europe”
UNIC – VISION FOR THE FUTURE
Membership in the alliance will increase the international visibility of the partnership and it will strengthen cooperation with other international academic centres. Students, doctoral students, researchers and administrative staff of the UNIC alliance will be able to benefit from education and gain professional experience at partner universities in jointly developed innovative projects that will provide a new dimension to the interuniversity cooperation. By studying, teaching and working throughout Europe, they will become change agents who will play an important role in the transformation of urban regions. In doing so, they will contribute to the resilience and renaissance of Europe’s post-industrial urban centres, ‘bringing science to the city’ through initiatives such as CityLabs (urban laboratories, points of contact between the city and the academy). As a result, a new generation of students and researchers with the knowledge, skills and societal consciousness will emerge, who will act as change-leaders, active citizens and builders of our common European future, shaping the European Education Area.
UNIC also aims at broadening educational opportunities for students, including members of the new migrant communities and those living in socioeconomically disadvantaged areas.
UNIC – KEY DELIVERABLES AND ACTIVITIES
- Co-creating a European collaborative structure for UNIC: engaging students and staff of UNIC's partner universities in building closer and more effective inter-university cooperation in Europe through joint, innovative educational and scientific projects.
- Enabling seamless mobility: the ambition of UNIC is to enable students and university staff, as part their educational and scientific-research activities, to move seamlessly within and outside UNIC, despite its undoubted diversity. Virtual mobility and participation in online classes conducted at other universities belonging to the alliance will also play an important role.
- Ensuring social inclusion: It means identifying and understanding differences and using them to everyone’s advantage. Achieving this goal will be based on the pooling of research and education excellence of the partner universities in this area.
- Developing post-industrial cities and addressing the challenges to offset the impact of negative social and economic trends by creating new solutions for regions within the UNIC alliance and confronting the real challenges these regions face.
UNIC – HOW WILL THE ALLIANCE TRANSFORM UNIVERSITIES THAT MAKE IT UP?
- A lasting alliance of European universities, based on cooperation involving students, scientists and administrative Staff, will be created.
- UNIC Inter-University Campus will be created. It will allow for virtual, physical and blended mobility for students and university Staff. The Campus will include:
- Mobility Hubs ensuring practical advice,
- digital learning opportunities,
- a multi-lingual communication,
- a mutual recognition of courses.
- UNIC Superdiversity Academy will be established – our centre of excellence on building inclusive universities in superdiverse cities. The Academy will develop models of practice to address superdiverse populations through research, educational and information programmes, executive training, and the provision of lifelong learning.
- In post-industrial cities UNIC CityLabs will appear. They will be created for specific municipal science and research projects. Their aim will be to bring science to our cities in a challenge-based learning methodology.
UNIC – TASKS FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF LODZ
By joining the group of universities associated within the UNIC alliance, University of Lodz plans to:
- promote activities under the UNIC alliance among the university community, the city and the region as well as institutions cooperating with the University of Lodz.
- actively engage in joint activities of the UNIC partnership through, among others: mobility of students and staff, participation in joint research projects, creation of joint study programmes and other educational initiatives.
- analyse, improve and modify processes and procedures aimed at their integration within the UNIC alliance.
- develop joint study programmes and implement projects in cooperation with partners from UNIC.
- implement solutions functioning in the UNIC alliance, such as: UNIC Student Charter, UNIC Inter-University Virtual Campus, UNIC Mobility Hubs, as well as joint study programmes and training programmes.