ŁÓDŹ /SAY “WOODGE”/
University of Lodz is the biggest University in central Poland capturing hearts and minds, devoted to research and higher education development, aiming at community transformation. Our little homeland is Lodz – a city with an unusual, difficult to imitate character, once called the capital city of Polish industry and cinematography, today it combines the charm of past times with the spirit of modern business, culture and science.
WE FOCUS ON COMMUNITY PROBLEMS RELATED TO CIVILISATION CHALLENGES IN THE AGE OF GLOBALISATION
We look for solutions to homelessness and social exclusion problems. We study patterns of socio-economic segregation to facilitate eradication of poverty. We look for new methods of anti-cancer therapy. We collect great DNA databases of Poles to prevent civilisation diseases more effectively. We propose solutions that promote integrated urban revitalisation. We implement new methods of waste degradation. All over the world, we discover and protect new species of plants and animals. We help access water in desert areas. We analyse the language of hate and try to find its causes. We analyse cultural and religious heritage of Poland and the world in many aspects. We study the genetic material of people living thousands of years ago to get to know our ancestors and ourselves better. We consistently promote the development of humanities in all its varieties.
SCIENTIFIC FIELDS AND DISCIPLINES AT UNILODZ
We are a classical university. We care about development and strive for research excellence in every scientific field and discipline practiced at our university. Scientists from the University of Lodz conduct research in a wide range of disciplines within the humanities, natural sciences and social sciences.
University of Lodz is a regional leader in the number of implemented HORIZON 2020 PROJECTS. Among them:
- University of Lodz participates in the world’s largest experiment investigation of the ultra-high-energy cosmic rays – Pierre Auger Observatory. „Researches of ultra-high energy cosmic rays (E>10^19 eV), the improvement of surface and radio detectors in the Pierre Auger Observatory (AugerPrime)”,
- The CLARIN-PL project creates electronic repository with language resources and tools aimed at performing syntactic and semantic analyses, speech recognition, search for proper names or recognition of situation descriptions. „CLARIN – European Research Infrastructure for Language Resource and Technology”
- Collaboration with institutions from Argentina and Chile in the field of nanomaterials-driven targeting of mitochondria and neuronal cells at developing new approach to treat Alzheimer disease. It is expected to produce methods of synthesizing new nanoparticles, small RNAs and to examine nanomaterial-driven deliveries targeting cell and mitochondrial mRNA.
OTHER INNOVATIVE PROJECTS CARRIED OUT AT UNILODZ
- BiodivERsA - Enabling green-blue infrastructure in complex social-ecological regions – system solutions to wicked problems
- RELOCAL: Resituating the local in cohesion and territorial development
- QUANTUM DYNAMICS: New Geometry of Quantum Dynamics
- RESET – Redesigning Equality and Scientific Excellence Together
INTERNATIONAL EDUCATIONAL PROJECTS
University of Lodz actively participates in various international projects that are aimed at improving the quality and increasing the attractiveness of its educational offer. There are 33 international educational projects (2018) carried out mostly within the framework of the various actions of Erasmus+ programme (such as: Strategic Partnerships, Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees, Jean Monnet, Knowledge Alliance).
HR EXCELLENCE IN RESEARCH
This prestigious award is one of the activities of the European Commission as part of the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers, aimed at increasing attractiveness of working conditions and career development in the EU. The logo is awarded to the European institutions that provide researchers with the best working conditions and transparent recruitment processes in line with the principles of the Researcher’s Charter and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers in the EU.
STUDY OFFER IN ENGLISH
Bio-Med-Chem Doctoral School of University of Lodz and Lodz Institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences, the University of Lodz Doctoral School of Humanities, the University of Lodz Doctoral School of Social Sciences, the University of Lodz Doctoral School of Exact and Natural Sciences.
STUDY OFFER IN ENGLISH
Business Management (IACBE), Computer Science, Economics (IACBE), English Studies, Russian Philology, Environmental Protection specialisation: Ecohydrology, Intern, Conflict Management and Negotiations, Governments and Governance, International Marketing, International Gender Studies.
STUDY OFFER IN ENGLISH
Business Management, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics specialisation: Financial Mathematics, International Marketing, Management and Finance, International and Political Studies specialisations: American Studies, Asian Studies, Intercultural Communication, Politics and Policy in Europe, Security Studies.
A DIVERSE UNIVERSITY
University of Lodz aims at integrating and sharing its diversity – this way the university makes a difference to the social and economic well-being of its community through the research, teaching, and public events and activities. We promote equality through diversity that is enriching. We have initiated the project called University Diversity which aims at integrating the academic community and in particular at exchanging students.